Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Emmy's Baby Cardigan (Free Pattern)


Last Wednesday afternoon, my friend invited me to her daughter's 1st birthday party on Saturday!  It was such a rush invitation that I didn't know what gift I should buy for Emmy!  When Emmy was born in last spring, I crocheted a pink dress for her.  It would be so nice to make a cardigan for her this time.  

I was thankful that I have a Bernat Softee Baby yarn at home that I bought it a year or two ago.  It's perfect to make a cardigan!  I found a pattern on Ravelry but the size is for infants to 6 months.  So I changed the hook size and gauge and make it for a 1-year-old.  I also modified the length of the sleeves, the pattern on the neck and crochet technique.  This cardigan is very easy to make and it's done in one day!  Enjoy!





Materials:

Baby yarns (Bernat Softee Baby – Antique White was used in this project)

Size G hook

Yarn needle

A button



Size: 12 months old

Gauge: 18 sts and 8 rows=4”



NOTE: All dcs are worked on back loop only.  Only 3dc-in-next st and 5dc-in-next-st are worked on both loops.





Starting at the neck

Row 1: Chain 72 sts. 1 dc in 4th st from hook, *3 dc in next st, 1 dc in next 4 sts; repeat from* across, ending with 3 dc in next st; 1 dc in last 2 sts. Chain 3, turn.

ROW 2: Skip 2 sts; 1 dc in next st; 5 dc in next st; 1 dc in next 2 sts ; *skip 2 sts, 1 dc in next 2 sts; 5 dc in next st; 1 dc in next 2 sts; repeat from* 12 times. Ch 3, turn.

ROW 3: Skip 2 sts, 1 dc in next 2 sts; 3 dc in next st; 1 dc in next 3 sts; *skip 2 sts; 1 dc in next 3 sts; 3 dc in next st; 1 dc in next 3 sts; repeat from* 12 times. Chain 3, turn.

ROW 4: Skip 2 sts, 1 dc in next 2 sts; 5 dc in next st; 1 dc in next 3 sts; *skip 2 sts; 1 dc in next 3 sts; 5 dc in next st; 1 dc in next 3 sts; repeat from* 12 times. Chain 3, turn.

ROW 5: Skip 2 sts, 1 dc in next 3 sts; 3 dc in next st; 1 dc in next 4 sts; *skip 2 sts; 1 dc in next 4 sts; 3 dc in next st; 1 dc in next 4 sts; repeat from* 12 times. Chain 3, turn.

ROW 6: Skip 2 sts; 1 dc in next 3 sts; 5 dc in next st; 1 dc in next 4 sts; *skip 2 sts; 1 dc in next 4 sts; 5 dc in next st; 1 dc in next 4 sts; repeat from* 12 times. Chain 3, turn.

ROW 7: Skip 2 sts; 1 dc in next 4 sts; 3 dc in next st; 1 dc in next 5 sts; *skip 2 sts, 1 dc in next 5 sts; 3 dc in next st; 1 dc in next 5 sts; repeat from* 12 times. Chain 3, turn.

ROW 8: Skip 2 sts; 1 dc in next 4 sts; 5 dc in next st; 1 dc in next 5 sts; *skip 2 sts; 1 dc in next 5 sts; 5 dc in next st; 1 dc in next 5 sts; repeat from* 12 times. Chain 3, turn.

ROW 9: Skip 2 sts, 1 dc in next 5 sts; 3 dc in next st; 1 dc in next 6 sts; *skip 2 sts; 1 dc in next 6 sts; 3 dc in next st; 1 dc in next 6 sts; repeat from* 12 times. Chain 3, turn.

ROW 10: Skip 2 sts, 1 dc in next 5 sts; 5 dc in next st; 1 dc in next 6 sts; *skip 2 sts; 1 dc in next 6 sts; 5 dc in next st; 1 dc in next 6 sts; repeat from* 12 times. Chain 3, turn.

ROW 11: SEPARATION: Skip 2 sts; 1 dc in next 6 sts; 3 dc in next st; 1 dc in next 7 sts; **skip 2 sts; 1 dc in next 7 sts; 3 dc in next st; 1 dc in next 7 sts **; skip the next 53 dcs (3 patterns) for the sleeve; repeat between ** 4 times for the back; skip the next 53 dcs (3 patterns) for second sleeve; repeat between ** 2 times. Chain 3, turn.

ROW 12: Skip 2 sts; 1 dc in next 6 sts; 5 dc in next st; 1 dc in next 7 sts; *skip 2 sts; 1d c in next 7 sts; 5 dc in next st; 1 dc in next 7 sts; repeat from* across row. Chain 3, turn.

ROW 13: Skip 2 sts, 1 dc in next 7 sts; 3 dc in next st; 1 dc in next 8 sts; *skip 2 sts; 1 dc in next 8 sts; 3 dc in next st; 1 dc in next 8 sts; repeat from* across row. Chain 3, turn.

ROW 14: Skip 2 sts, 1 dc in next 7 sts; 5 dc in next st; 1 dc in next 8 sts; *skip 2 sts; 1 dc in next 8 sts; 5 dc in next st; 1 dc in next 8 sts; repeat from* across row. Chain 3, turn.

ROW 15: Skip 2 sts, 1 dc in next 8 sts; 3 dc in next st; 1 dc in next 9 sts; *skip 2 sts; 1 dc in next 9 sts; 3 dc in next st; 1 dc in next 9 sts; repeat from* across row. Chain 3, turn.

ROW 16: Skip 2 sts, 1 dc in next 8 sts; 5 dc in next st; 1 dc in next 9 sts; *skip 2 sts; 1 dc in next 9 sts; 3 dc in next st; 1 dc in next 9 sts; repeat from* across row. Chain 3, turn.

ROWS 17-19: Skip 2 sts, 1 dc in next 9 sts; 3 dc in next st; 1 dc in next 10 sts; *skip 2 sts; 1 dc in next 10 sts; 3 dc in next st; 1 dc in next 10 sts; repeat from* across row. Chain 3, turn.

ROW 20: Skip 2 sts, 1 dc in next 9 sts; 3 dc in next st; 1 dc in next 10 sts; *skip 2 sts; 1 dc in next 10 sts; 3 dc in next st; 1 dc in next 10 sts; repeat from* across row. DO NOT FASTEN OFF. 





FINISHING

Continue at the lower corner of Right Front.

Ch 1.  2 sc in the corner st.  work sc evenly across Right Front neck.  Ch 4 (to make a button hole). Sl st of the last st.  2 sc in the corner st.  *1 sc in the next st, ch 3, 1 sc in the next st; repeat from * across Neck. 3 sc in the corner st.  work sc evenly across Left Front. 3 sc in the corner st.  1 sc in each st along the bottom of the cardigan ending at the lower corner of Right Front.  Fasten Off.


Sew a button on the upper corner of Left Front.

25 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did my count the same as yours, however, when doing the separation (Row 11) - I was able to work all the way through skipping the second set of 53 stitches, however I could only do the ** to ** once and not twice. I'm not sure what happened.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For Row 11, it's making the Side, Back, Side of the sweater. For the 1st Side, you crochet 2 sets of shape like this /\. Then you skip 3 sets of /\ (sleeve), crochet 4 sets of /\ (back), skip 3 sets of /\ (sleeve), then you should have 2 sets of /\ to crochet. If you're ending 1 set of this, it could be something wrong on the skipping or the back. On Row 10, do you have 14 sets of /\?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just started this lovely pattern and somehow I end up with an extra stitch at the end of each row. What am I doing wrong? Please help asap! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Chris, please see the correction from this crocheter:
    ****************************************************************************
    This is a wonderful pattern. I made it for my daughter and it is adorable.
    I did note, like other commenters, that the chain 3 is missing from Row 1.

    Also, I noticed that Row 16 states “Skip 2 sts, 1 dc in next 8 sts; 5 dc in next st; 1 dc in next 9 sts; skip 2 sts; 1 dc in next 9 sts; 3 dc in next st; 1 dc in next 9 sts; repeat from across row. Chain 3, turn.”

    I believe the 3 dc in the repeat should be 5 dc - otherwise there are not enough stitches for Row 17.

    However, a great free pattern - thank you soooo much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I keep running into a problem starting this pattern. On row 2 I have to repeat the pattern 13 times to reach the end of my chain. Any ideas what I could be doing wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes me too i have a problem in raw 2.. one extra dc!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think this is gorgeous and really want to make it for my daughter BUT I just made her another little cardi for a 12 month old (she's only 8 months now but will be 12 months in winter in Australia) and it was way too small. Are you able to post the measurements so I could check to see the actual sizing? Or is there an equation I could follow to adjust the pattern for larger size if necessary? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for sharing! I just finished this beautiful cardigan. Could you tell me who designed this and if I am permitted to sell the finished product. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Casssndra! I wrote this pattern. You're welcome to sell the finished product. =)

      Delete
  10. How many skeins of yarn did this take?

    ReplyDelete
  11. thank you for sharing this lovely pattern,im on row 12 and have had no problems so far. x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for this lovely pattern. I made this for my niece & now i m making it for my friends niece. Thanks a lot

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am making this sweater for my 14 month old granddaughter who will be in a wedding March 28. Thanks for this pattern. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I started with this beautiful pattern. But I kept running into a problem with row 2. Instead of ending with the 12 repeat I keep ending with a 13 repeat or more. Is there a way to end with the 12 repeat? I really would like to continue with this beautiful pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Row 2: Skip 2 sts; 1 dc in next st; 5 dc in next st; 1 dc in next 2 sts ; *skip 2 sts, 1 dc in next 2 sts; 5 dc in next st; 1 dc in next 2 sts; repeat from* 12 times. Ch 3, turn.

      Do not count "Skip 2 sts; 1 dc in next st; 5 dc in next st; 1 dc in next 2 sts", you should have 12 repeats.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for the information. I tried the first two rows again and I didn't count the "Skip 2 sts; 1 dc in next st; 5 dc in next st; 1 dc in next 2 sts" but I still end with 13 repeats. I still can't figure it out what I'm doing wrong.

      Delete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I loved the cardigan..i am planning to make it for my six year old..can you let me know how to scale the pettern to fit a 6 yr old..thank you

    ReplyDelete
  17. I used an F hook and the exact same yarn. Had no problems with the pattern, it was perfect! However, the jacket ended up about a 5T in size so obviously my gauge is off and it fits my almost 4 year old, she wears 5T and I think it's just right.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Dear Agnes Gurumi,I want to make this cardigan for 6-9 months baby but I have wool with gauge 5 dc equal to one inch, how many chain will be required? Please answer me as soon as possible. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  20. Dear Agnes Gurumi,I want to make this cardigan for 6-9 months baby but I have wool with gauge 5 dc equal to one inch, how many chain will be required? Please answer me as soon as possible. Thanks

    ReplyDelete

 

Agnes Gurumi Copyright © 2012 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template